An open letter to Santa Cyber from a cybersecurity professional.
Dear Santa Cyber,
Tis the season of flying reindeer, Frosty’s magic hat, gingerbread cookies… and cyber criminals. The number of cyber threats this holiday season continues to grow, and they are becoming more sophisticated every day. Tenable Network Security estimates that over the holiday season, there is a “$5.4 billion windfall for cyber criminals.” It appears our cyber foes have pulled the stocking cap over our eyes, and once again, are one step ahead of us.
Santa Cyber, we know you are busy this time of year, building your naughty and nice list to determine who will get presents under the tree. As cybersecurity professionals, we also know who you will be delivering lumps of coal to this year. For those of us on the cybersecurity nice list, we ask you to consider the following gifts for us this year:
- A gift of more cyber-trained Santa elves
- Holly jolly trust among users, industry, and government
- Carols of increased public awareness of the many cyber threats and vulnerabilities
- Joy of obtaining improved and transparent cyber legislation and cybersecurity guidelines
- Good tidings of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) education
- Magic of automated cyber vulnerability detection and remediation tools
- Spirit of collaboration
- A bow-wrapped technical to non-technical cyber communications translator
- Joy of easy to use mobile device security protections
- Miracle of cyber attribution
- Holiday resolutions to learn from the ghosts of Christmas past, present, and future
Lastly, here are a few reminders for you, Santa Cyber, from one cybersecurity professional to another. As you prepare to fly around the world to deliver joy to all, please password protect the personally identifiable information on your naughty and nice list, beware of third party Christmas cookies, stay alert to suspicious activity, and ensure you use encrypted wireless hot spots to help Rudolph find his way.
Peace and joy,
Your Cybersecurity Professional
The Empower and Protect Blog brings you cybersecurity and information technology insights from top industry experts at Telos.